27.06.2019 - Andreas Gysler
Five key findings:
1. Ads from leading UK brands appear routinely in non-brand-safe environments, exposing them to the risk of brand equity damage and/or commercial harm.
2. We surveyed around 100,000 cases of ad misplacement in non-brand-safe environments, with ads frequently appearing alongside inappropriate content.
3. There is significant variation of exposure in different product and service categories and for brands within those categories.
4. Since brand safety became front-page news in 2017, there has been some progress on major platforms – including YouTube and Facebook – to reduce exposure to non-brand safe content. But this remains an on-going challenge.
5. There is no, single, universally-accepted definition of brand safety, which means brands need to set their own standards and monitor ad misplacement according to their individual tolerance to risk.
You can download the full study here